Report to: Director of Operations/ Lead Medical Assistant.
Job Description Overview:
Our Medical Assistant position is responsible for assisting Doctors and Nurses in providing care to their patients. Their duties include recording and updating medical histories and contact information in patient files, scheduling patient appointments and performing standard care procedures like drawing blood, checking vitals, performing EKG’s or collecting lab samples. This position provides support to the Focus Urgent Care and Occupational Medicine locations.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Welcomes and greets all patients who present to the facility and exit the facility in a respectful and pleasant manner.
- Presents patients with confidentiality with HIPPA policies.
- Check in patient’s by entering in current demographics, including verifying information in the system is up to date and current, and when necessary, making any corrections as needed.
- Collecting and copying two patient identifiers to ensure patient’s identity.
- Verifies insurance for Urgent Care patients.
- Obtains medical history from patient’s, documenting all information required for services.
- Prepares, assists, and accurately completes all forms.
- Collects all/ any co-pays.
- Collect all ancillary tests appropriate to skill level, Certifications and State Regulations.
- Answer patients calls professionally and determine how to assist them.
- Measure and record’s patient vital signs, such as height, weight, temperature, blood pressure, pulse, and respirations.
- Collect samples (such as blood and urine) from patient’s and perform routine laboratory tests on samples.
- Escort and/or transport patients to examinations.
- Interacts calmly, respectfully and in a friendly manner with other representatives of services at Focus Urgent Care/ refers patients to proper resources for Focus Urgent Care policies such as billing support. Assists in clerical duties as needed, functioning as a member of the healthcare team.
- Work directly under supervision of the Medical Director, Site Administrator and Registered Nurse to provide uncompromising services to patients and community.
- Maintains supplies, cleans areas and stock rooms.
- Maintains and operates all clerical, clinical equipment, including calibration and record keeping, in accordance with established policies and procedures.
- Performs drug (urine, hair, saliva) and alcohol (BAT) testing for both DOT and non- DOT, using the proper chain of custody; ensures preparation for specimen pick-up and shipment to appropriate laboratory.
- Ensure all monies are balances throughout the day and any documentation required is accurate.
- Complete banking for any/ all deposits.
- On a monthly basis purge any Urgent Care or Occupational charts.
- Assists in Medical Record Maintenance.
- Attendance and being on time, ready to work your scheduled hours is an essential requirement.
- Supports both Urgent Care and Occupational Services counterparts in times of need.
- Works as a team, help all others as needed.
- Perform other duties as assigned by management.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Associates degree in medical office. Preferred, high school diploma required.
- Graduation from an accredited certified Medical Assisting program preferred.
- Minimum of (1) year of continuous clinical operations or medical office experience required.
- Working knowledge of occupational health and/or workers compensation experience preferred with understanding of Occupational standards and regulatory guidelines a plus.
- High degree of verbal communication and interpersonal skills to determine needs, provide information, instruct, and provide emotional support.
- Strong planning, problem solving, organizational, verbal communication and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to maintain strict confidentiality in accordance with HIPAA.
- Ability to adapt to a changing and growing atmosphere.
- Courteous and professional demeanor.
- Willingness to work as a team player to meet common goals of the department.
- Ability to maintain a professional demeanor and composure when handling clients/stressful situations.
- Promote positive department morale through effective teamwork.
- Ability to work and travel to multiple locations.
Qualifications and Experience
- Ability to maintain strict confidentiality.
- Excellent communication skills (verbal and written).
- Good problem-solving/decision making skills.
- Ability to work with minimal direction/supervision.
- Ability to work effectively in a team environment achieving organizational goals.
- Ability to work on multiple tasks/deadlines.
- Job performed in a well-lit, modern office settings.
- Occasional lifting/carrying (30 pounds or less).
- Frequent bending/stooping/reaching/pulling.
- Low to moderate stress.
- Prolonged standing.
- Prolonged work on a computer.
- Moderate, physical effort, including assistance to the disabled patient in transfers to and from wheelchairs, exam tables, bathroom etc.
This position may require manual dexterity and/or frequent use of computer, telephone, office machines (copier, scanner, fax) the ability to perform repetitive motions and meet production standards to comply with essential functions. Also, may require physical and mental stamina to work overtime, additional hours beyond a regular schedule and/or more than five days per week.
Cooperative, positive, courteous, and professional behavior, and conduct is an essential function of every position. All employees must be able to work with other beyond giving and receiving instructions. This includes getting along with co-workers, peers, and management without exhibiting behavior extremes. Job functions may require personal leadership skills such as conflict resolutions, negotiating, instructing, persuading, speaking with others as well as responding appropriately to job performance feedback from the supervisor. Additionally, the information contained in this job description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities and qualifications required of employees assigned to this position.
The information contained in this job description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory all duties, responsibilities and qualifications required of employees assigned to this position.
I have read and understand the essential duties of this position and will direct any questions regarding the content of this position description or the expectations of my duties to my manager or Human Resources.