Job Description Overview
Our LPNs perform a variety of duties under the direction of a RN and will work as part of the health care team to assess patient needs, plan and modify care, implement interventions and support Focus Urgent Care Clinical staff in the provision of client care. As part of Focus Urgent Care, our LPNs perform all clinical orders in a timely and accurate manner, adhering to all regulatory requirements. LPNs represent Focus Urgent Care by displaying a respectful and caring manner with patients and their families. An LPN must be able to independently problem solve and utilize resources to obtain patient information when the patient is unable to communicate, maintain confidentiality of patient information, and coordinate and participate in a variety of patient care activities in the examination and treatment of patients. Treatments may include but are not limited to vital signs, blood draws, medication administration, assisting with diagnostic and therapeutic procedures, using standard medical equipment, and recording data for medical records.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Administer prescribed medications and note times and dosages in patient’s charts.
- Observe patients, chart and report changes in patients’ conditions, such as adverse reactions to medication or treatment, and taking any necessary action.
- Provide basic patient care and treatments, such as dressing wounds, application of DME, or performing catheterizations.
- Sterilize equipment and supplies using germicides and/or sterilizer.
- Answer patients’ calls professionally and determine how to assist them.
- Measure and record patients’ vital signs, such as height, weight, temperature, blood pressure, pulse, and respirations.
- Collect samples (such as blood and urine) from patients and perform routine laboratory tests on samples.
- Escort and/or transport patients to examinations
- Prepare patients for examinations, tests, or treatments and explain procedures.
- Assemble and use equipment such as catheters and oxygen supplies.
- Prepare and give injections or start IVs.
- Interacts calmly, respectfully and in a friendly manner with other representatives of services at Focus Urgent Care. Refers patients to proper resources for Focus Urgent Care policies such as billing support. Assists in clerical duties as needed, functioning as a member of the health care team.
- Work directly under supervision of the Medical Director, Site Administrator, and Registered Nurse to provide uncompromising services to patients and community.
- Performs various laboratory quality controls maintaining accurate logs.
- Performs drug and alcohol testing.
- Participate in development and implementation of general policies and procedures to provide for the physical and emotional comfort and safety of patients by maintaining competence through continuing education and in-service training.
- Performs other duties as assigned or requested.
- Attendance and being on time and ready to work your scheduled hours is an essential job requirement.
Qualifications and Experience
- Graduation from an accredited school of Nursing or certified LPN program
- 1-2 years of experience working as an LPN in a medical environment
- Valid registration as an LPN in the State of New York
- Previous experience with drug screens preferred
- Current BLS validation required
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Ability to triage patient problems appropriately, seeking guidance as needed
- High degree of verbal communication and interpersonal skills to determine needs, provide information, instruct, and provide emotional support
- Strong planning, problem solving, organizational, verbal communication and interpersonal skills
- Working knowledge of general office equipment including fax and copy machines, multi-line phone system, and personal computer
- Ability to address and resolve conflict in a professional manner
- Ability to maintain strict confidentiality in accordance with HIPAA
- Ability to be flexible
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to adapt to a changing and growing atmosphere
- Courteous and professional demeanor
- Willingness to work as a team player to meet common goals of the department
- Ability to maintain a professional demeanor and composure when handling difficult clients/stressful situations
- Promote positive department morale through effective teamwork
- Ability to work and travel to multiple locations
Physical and Environmental Demands
- Moderate, physical effort, including assistance to the disabled patient in transfers to and from wheelchairs, exam tables, bathroom etc.
- Associated health risks related to patient exposure including body fluids and needles
- Job performed in a well-lighted, modern office setting
- Occasional standing/bending
- Moderate to high stress level
- Potential for prolonged sitting, telephone, and computer work
This position may require manual dexterity and/or frequent use of the computer, telephone, office machines (copier, scanner, fax) and/or the ability to perform repetitive motions and/or meet production standards to comply with the essential functions. A position may also require physical and/or mental stamina to work overtime, additional hours, beyond a regular schedule and/or more than 5 days per week.
Cooperative, positive, courteous, and professional behavior and conduct is an essential function of every position. All employees must be able to work with others beyond giving and receiving instructions. This includes getting along with co-workers, peers, and management without exhibiting behavior extremes. Job functions may require personal leadership skills such as conflict resolution, negotiating, instructing, persuading, speaking with others as well as responding appropriately to job performance feedback from the supervisor. Additionally, the information contained in the job description has been designated to indicate the general nature and level or work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities and qualifications required of employees assigned to this position.
I have read and understand the essential duties of this position and will direct any questions regarding the contents of this position description or the expectations of my duties to my manager or Human Resources.