Job Description Overview:
Our Registered Nurses will assess patient’s medical conditions, evaluating changes in vital signs and other measurements, as well as administering treatments.
To ensure success, urgent care nurses should exhibit experience in monitoring patients in urgent care facilities with similar specializations and the ability to work under pressure in a fast-paced environment. An accomplished urgent care nurse will be someone whose clinical expertise translates into high- quality patient care. Our RNs represent Focus Urgent Care by displaying a respectful and caring manner with patients and their families, independently problem solving and utilizing resources to obtain patient information when the patient is unable to communicate and maintaining confidentiality of patient information.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Represent Focus Urgent Care by always displaying a respectful and caring manner with patients and their families.
- Independently problem solve and utilize resources to obtain patient information when the patient is unable to communicate.
- Maintains confidentiality of patient information.
- Assess urgent care patient’s charts, prescribed medications, and test results upon arrival
- Coordinate and participate in a variety of patient care activities in the examination and treatment of patients including vital signs, blood draw, medication administration, assisting with diagnostic and therapeutic procedures, using standard medical equipment; recording the data for medical records.
- Administer prescribed medications or start intravenous fluids start IVs and performing drug dose titration
- Observe patients, charting and reporting changes in patients’ conditions, such as adverse reactions to medication or treatment, and taking any necessary action.
- Provide basic patient care and treatments, such as taking temperatures or blood pressures, dressing wounds, applying DME, or performing catheterizations.
- Sterilize equipment and supplies using germicides and/or sterilizer.
- Answer patients’ calls professionally and determine how best to assist them.
- Measure and record patients’ vital signs, such as height, weight, temperature, blood pressure, pulse, and respirations.
- Collect samples, such as blood, urine and sputum from patients, and perform routine laboratory tests on samples.
- Escort and/or transport patients to examination
- Prepare patients for examinations, tests, or treatments and explain procedures.
- Assemble and use equipment such as catheters and oxygen supplies.
- Prepare and give injections
- Performs drug and alcohol testing
- Interacts calmly, respectfully and in a friendly manner with other representatives of services at Focus Urgent Care. Refers patients to proper resources for Focus Urgent Care policies such as billing support. Assists in clerical duties as needed, functioning as a member of the health care team.
- Interpreting laboratory test results and collaborating with physicians on treatment plans
- Reporting deteriorating conditions to primary healthcare specialists without delay
- Maintaining and updating medical charts, patient files, and health records
- Work directly under the supervision of the Medical Director to provide uncompromising services to patients and community.
- Perform various laboratory test, controls, and additional duties as needed.
- Participate in development and implementation of general policies and procedures to provide for the physical and emotional comfort and safety of patients. Maintains competence through continuing education and in-service training.
- Explain treatments, procedures, and after-care instructions, as well as answering patient’s questions.
- Performs other duties as assigned or requested
*Attendance and being on time, ready to work your scheduled hours is an essential job requirement*
Qualifications and Experience
- Graduation from an accredited school of Nursing program
- Registered Nurse (RN) Certification
- Current BLS and ACLS validation required
- Experience in assessing patients, inserting IV’s, and collecting phlebotomy samples
- In depth knowledge of best practices in urgent care nursing
- Superb analytical and problem- solving skills
- Great organizational and stress management abilities
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Ability to triage patient problems appropriately, seeking guidance as needed
- High degree of verbal communication and interpersonal skills to determine needs, provide information, instruct, and provide emotional support
- Strong planning, problem solving, organizational, verbal communication and interpersonal skills
- Working knowledge of general office equipment including fax and copy machines, multi-line phone system
- Ability to address and resolve conflict in a professional manner
- Ability to maintain strict confidentiality
- Ability to be flexible
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to adapt to a changing and growing atmosphere
- Courteous and professional demeanor
- Willingness to work as a team player to meet common goals of the department
- Ability to maintain a professional demeanor and composure when handling difficult clients/stressful situations
- Promote positive department morale through effective teamwork
- Ability to work and travel to multiple locations
Physical and Environmental Demands
- Moderate, physical effort, including assistance to the disabled patient in transfers to and from wheelchairs, exam tables, bathroom etc.
- Occasional lifting (no more than 25lbs): anything above 50lbs requires 2 person assistance.
- Associated health risks related to patient exposure including body fluids and needles
- Job performed in a well-lighted, modern office setting
- Occasional standing/bending
- Moderate to high stress level
- Potential for prolonged sitting, telephone, and computer work
*This position may require manual dexterity and/or frequent use of the computer, telephone, office machines (copier, scanner, fax) and/or the ability to perform repetitive motions and/or meet production standards to comply with the essential functions*
Cooperative, positive, courteous, and professional behavior, and conduct is an essential function of every position. All employees must be able to work with others beyond giving and receiving instructions. This includes getting along with co-workers, peers, and management without exhibiting behavior extremes. Job functions may require personal leadership skills such as conflict resolution, negotiating, instructing, persuading, speaking with others as well as responding appropriately to job performance feedback from the supervisor. Additionally, the information contained in the job description has been designated to indicate the general nature and level or work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities and qualifications required of employees assigned to this position.
I have read and understand the essential duties of this position and will direct any questions regarding the contents of this position description or the expectations of my duties to my manager or Human Resources.